Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Happy Potato Pancake Birthday, Brooklyn Girl Cooking!


Today is Kitty's Birthday! and although I didn't get to celebrate with her in person today, we will be seeing each other this weekend.

BUT- in honor of her love for potatoes, I made potato pancakes!

I grated 3 potatoes and a half an onion into a bowl, and then squeezed the excess liquid from the grated potato and onion using a cheesecloth

I added 2 eggs, some minced garlic (because i pretty much add garlic to everything), ~tsp of salt, ~tbsp of flour and ~2 tsps curry powder (I don't always measure exactly, and in this type of recipe, the eggs and flour act as good binders, so a little extra flour won't hurt)





After heating about a tbsp of vegetable oil in a large frying pan over a medium-high flame, form the pancake "dough" into balls, place them in the pan, and press them into flatter pancakes with a spatula.


They cooked for 3-5 minutes per side.

Happy birthday Kitty! They were delicious!



Sorry I didn't have a candle

(Post-script- I completely forgot! I didn't have any sour cream or apple sauce, my two favorie potato pancake companions, so I mixed some peach jam into some plain yogurt, and it was delicious.)

3 comments:

  1. Ohhh I made latkas for Easter , yum a huge hit!
    Who does not like fried potato!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your great grandmother would be proud!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOLOL thank you girl! I just saw this now... a more fitting tribute I could not ask for. <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete