Friday, April 23, 2010

Grocery-Shopping Tip: Butter Up Your Freezer


I've written about my reliance on frozen peas on more than one occasion. Another staple of my freezer: unsalted butter. I can't emphasize this tip enough: When butter goes on sale at your local supermarket, stock up and stack the boxes in your freezer. They'll keep for a good year at least (I wouldn't really know; mine never last that long). You can quickly and easily defrost individual sticks of butter in the microwave. (I don't have one, but I'm told this.)

This is an especially good thing to do in the month or two before the holiday season, or if you have a birthday cake to make -- you'd be surprised how many sticks of butter you can go through making Christmas cookies or frosting.


Most people use unsalted butter for baking and salted for savory dishes, but I find it's just as easy to buy unsalted exclusively, and just salt a dish to taste; you get more control over the amount of salt added that way.

One more note on the subject: Please, don't buy margarine or fake butter. You definitely will believe that it's not butter. The real thing is (arguably) healthier than all that processed chemical stuff, and it unarguably tastes much butter, I mean, better.

2 comments:

  1. But Kitty, I truly did not believe it wasn't butter. Or rather couldn't believe it wasn't. Whatever, not since the Santa Claus talk I had with my mother have I been so shattered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you think the name of the product was some sort of Dadaist "Ceci n'est pas le beurre"? Or were you just too busy swooning over Fabio to pay attention to the packaging?

    ReplyDelete