Thursday, March 6, 2014

Strawberries. What?

Well hello dear readers!
Wait do we have readers any more?

I'm sure you're out there, so hi, happy 2014 and how's everything?
Things are good with me, hectic, but good. But get this, I was at the Red Hook Fairway last night for some quick kitchen restocking, and right as I walked in, my eye was caught by the sign that said 3 lbs of strawberries for 5 dollars.
Wait, is it strawberry season? My mom who's down in Florida says it is there, so I figured what they heyo. They were definitely overripe, which also struck me as a little strange, but I went for it anyway, and bought a whole bunch of strawberries.

I got home and knew I needed to cook a majority of them right away, there is no way I'm going to be able to eat 3 lbs of strawberries before they go bad. I cleaned them, quartered them, cut off the green tops, and cooked them in a large saucepan with an old apple I needed to use, and the juice of 2 lemons, a tangerine, and about a quarter of a cup of white wine. I added some water to bring the liquid level up to almost cover the strawberries, and I let them cook at a low boil, stirring occasionally.
 
It got really saucy, and it was very tart, so I added in about 1 tablespoon of honey and 1 tablespoon of honey. I think you'd probably be better served to add in more sugar, but I was in a tarty mood (yes I was) so I stayed with less sugar.
 
What to do with tart strawberry sauce you ask?
I add it into plain yogurt and have it for breakfast. Delish
 
Enjoy!
Alyce

No comments:

Post a Comment