Saturday, February 9, 2013

Don't Throw That Away!

Hi all,
In case you didn't hear, a blizzard hit the east coast!
 
We didn't get hit too hard in NYC. less than a foot of snow down in Red Hook, but as I was waiting for the bus on my way home from work yesterday, I was on the corner of Court St. and Atlantic Avenue, watching around 30 people standing across the street, waiting in a line, to get into Trader Joe's.
 
Now I know while house bound, you need to make sure you have food to eat, but standing in line outside to get into Trader Joe's? I was a little befuddled.

So today, not housebound, just home doing laundry and chores, and I looked around my kitchen. I had a small container of 2-week old grape tomatoes. They were very wrinkled, giving the impression of "sundried". I also had 2 potatoes leftover from a bag my sister left with me at Christmas. Guess how large their eyes were. I also had a container of brussel sprouts in the fridge. They were only a week old.
So got ready to make my roasted brussel sprout recipe, but I also cut up the big-eyed potatoes (sans eyes) and sliced my almost sundried tomatoes in half, and I added those into my roasting pan with brussel sprouts, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper.
I roasted them for about 45 minutes, started the oven temperature at 400, then tossed the pan every 10 minutes, and turned the temp up by 10 degrees.
 
 
It was delicious, a nice lunch on a snowy day, I didn't have to wait in line outside in the snow, AND I didn't have to throw away my old food!
Stay warm everyone!
Alyce

No comments:

Post a Comment