Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Quiche vs Tart: Part Quiche

Hello my friends, Are you as excited for part 2 of this tart-quiche saga? I know I am. As you may have previously read, I made a tart, in an effort to learn the tart/quiche process. I also decided to make a quiche, in an effort to try a different recipe and see what worked for my preferences.

I turned to Epicurious.com where I had pulled a recipe called "Broccoli Cheddar Garlic Quiche". If you've read here before, you know that they had me at "Garlic". This recipe called for a home made crust, and my freezer was fresh out of pie crust, so i made the dough for the quiche while the tart baked. I promise to talk about my positive dough experience soon.


Once again, in assessing the ingredient list:
10 ounces of broccoli florets
2 large garlic cloves
6 large eggs
1 1/2 cups of half and half
1/4 tsp of grated nutmeg
1/4 tsp of cayenne
2 cups of coarsely grated extra-sharp cheddar
1/4 cup of grated parmigiano-reggiano


I had to make a few adjustments. Upping the broccoli and cheddar amounts? right on. I also added less half and half, (closer to 1 1/4 cups) fewer eggs (5 instead of 6) and (shocking, i know) I doubled the garlic. The recipe calls for mincing and mashing the garlic. I did this by chopping it very fine, and then drawing the flat of the knife over the garlic to crush it into more of a paste.

In a large bowl, I beat the eggs with the garlic, half and half, nutmeg, cayenne and salt. I Poured this into the pie shell, added the broccoli, and sprinkle the cheese over top. I also added the remainder of the caramelized onions in with the broccoli as well as over the top.

Bake this for ~45 minutes at 375 degrees. Let it cool for at least 20 minutes before cutting into your quiche. And the results were?
Better than the tart. The flavor was much deeper, i know this is just a matter of the additional (and simple) spices, and I think the next time I make this, I will do a combo of the two recipes (with my additional touches, the caramelized onions were very tasty).

The quiche recipe called for cooking the broccoli before baking the quiche. I didn't think this was necessary. 45 minutes at 375 degrees definitely cooks the broccoli, and i prefer my veggies to have a little texture. I think next time I would also use whole milk instead of half and half- I think with the additional cheese, the recipe won't lose anything using whole milk instead of half and half.

No comments:

Post a Comment